Habitat for Humanity – DeKalb often works with volunteers who are required to complete a certain number of community service hours. We want this volunteer experience to be rewarding. In so doing, there are certain guidelines we maintain as a way to stay organized and ensure a positive working relationship. We are happy to help you fulfill your committed hours, and look forward to working with you.
Habitat for Humanity – DeKalb reserves the right to terminate any agreement for community service (court-ordered, for school, or for work) if the participant is unproductive, fails to adhere to guidelines, is disruptive or in any other way negatively impacts the accomplishment of the organization’s mission.
Who may do community service?
- College or high school students needing hours for school.
- Employees who are a part of a company volunteer program.
- Those with court-ordered community service. (We do not accept volunteers who have committed violent crimes, crimes against minors, sexual offenses, theft, or robbery. To read the complete court-ordered community service policy and receive a copy of the application, please download the Court-Ordered Community Service Policy packet.)
How do I volunteer?
- All community service volunteers must register and submit paperwork from the court/case worker or school and a copy of their photo ID.
When can I do my hours/how do I start?
- You MUST schedule your service in advance using the Volunteer Opportunities calendar.
- When creating a new volunteer profile, you MUST answer “Yes” for the required question: *Do you need your volunteer hours documented?” and select either “Community Service” (for all non-court ordered service, such as school, work, or service organization) or “Court Ordered.”
- Hours worked before an application is approved (if applicable) will not be documented.
Please note: Saturdays are the busiest days and tend to fill up quickly. If you schedule a Saturday and do not show up, you will be removed from any future service opportunities.
Any questions or concerns, email Daniella Jackson, Community Outreach Coordinator or call (770)270-6813.