Benefits of Homeownership
According to the 2010 census, there were 665,865 individuals living in Dekalb County, Georgia, of which 11% of the population were below the poverty line. There were 145,825 single family homes owned in the county, and as many as 1 in 2 families who owned their home lived below the poverty line.
In the most recent census, there are 764,382 individuals living in Dekalb County and 15% are below the poverty line. There are 189,317 homes owned in the county and 63% or 118,745 households are living below the poverty line. That means for every family who owns their home there are nearly two families living below the poverty line.
Every day, more families find themselves in a struggle to keep a decent roof over their heads. Caught in punishing cycles of unpredictable rent increases, overcrowded conditions, or lack of access to land and affordable financing, these families live with a constant burden of stress and fear. Helping families leave that cycle behind is why we build. When a family can create a decent place to live that’s affordable, everything can change – and so much change is so desperately needed.
Benefits to Children
Compared to children of renters (of the same age, income, race, etc.) and children of homeowners:
- Are 25% more likely to graduate from high school
- Are 116% more likely to graduate from college
- Are 20% less likely to become teenage mothers
- Have 9% higher math scores
- Have 7% higher reading scores
- Have 3% fewer behavior problems
- Are 59% more likely to own a home within 10 years of moving from parent’s household
- Save taxpayers an estimated $34,000 in public expenditures (i.e. the cost of juvenile delinquency, teenage pregnancy, etc.) that would have been spent had they remained in rented housing.
Benefits to Homeowners & Community
Compared to renters (of the same age, income, race, etc.) and homeowners:
- Are 28% more likely to repair and improve their homes
- Are 12% more likely to maintain a garden outside of their homes
- Are 10% more likely to report they have worked to solve local problems
- Live 4 times longer in the community
- Are 11% more likely to know who represents them in Congress
- Are 9% more likely to know who their school-board representative is
- Are 15% more likely to vote
There are so many benefits of homeownership that go beyond what’s been listed. With your support, Habitat homeowners achieve the strength, stability and independence they need to build a better life for themselves and for their families.